Friday, August 7, 2015

Poetry by Normandi Ellis

Sculpture by Catherine Nash
      Insha'Allah

On a rainy New York morning in a cab on the way to JFK
I lost my wallet, my credit card, my driver's license and $300
I say "insha'Allah" - As God Wills It.
My seat companion on EgyptAir lost all of her luggage.
I say "Allahu Akbar" - God is Great.
Dear Lady, God smiles upon you and me
and has given us both a gift.
Now, others may give and because of our loss,
they are blessed by their giving.
We have fewer burdens to carry, less to guard
and so in that way we can open our hearts.
"Insha'Allah" we say together, God is Great.
When I return home from Egypt
there in my mailbox is an envelope
with wallet, credit cards, driver's license and $300.

 

The message read:  God Loves You.
There was no return address.

Normandi Ellisfrom "Words on Water"
www.finishinglinepress.com

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Interesting! And strangely eloquent.